Friday 4 January 2013

My submission to the Select Committee on Dog Control and Welfare

My submission to the Commons Select Committee on Dog Control and Welfare has been accepted and published by them here:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmenvfru/writev/dogcontrol/dog27.htm

first paragraph:

"My submission to this Committee is informed by my own position as a dog owner (of a small English Bull Terrier Cross rescue who is NOT ‘of type’), and as an academic social science lecturer and researcher, with a research interest in the social and material effects (on both people and dogs) of breed specific legislation (or BSL), and in public and state construction and management of risk. I have a number of grave concerns about the BSL component of the current UK Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (DDA) in its present form. As I shall demonstrate, it is not a rational law, and gives rise to many instances of injustice, while failing to protect the public, or dogs. Any attempt to extend this aspect of the law would not be rational or just. In addition, there are a number of additional proposals around dog control that are unreasonable and unworkable. These will make owning and controlling a dog more difficult, and will not protect the public or dogs. I will therefore also address these..."

No comments:

Post a Comment